Monday, July 24, 2006

Does Yeshua Still Speak to His Children?

“Eaglewood,
I don’t know but this question might be worthy of its own post. Please understand I’m quite serious even if the question seems flippant on the surface.

How does one distinguish between a “voice” of one of the godhead and schizophrenia?

One commenter mentioned that it would not be different than what was said in the Bible. If that is so, and the Bible contains sufficient information and instruction, why would anyone need direct revelation? Why do so many direct revelations given to individuals contradict each other?”

After asking for some clarification Res sent me this.

“Good point. What I meant was; I've heard men say: "God gave me a message to say to you... therefore do thus” But then a week or a month latter the same man will get up and say "God told me to say...." and it will require a different action in contradiction to the first message.

This type of situation is even more confusing when co-pastors have contradictory revelations that are given to them by God. Or so they claim.

Right now I hold the belief that God doesn't speak to men individually. I believe that the Bible holds the information we need to come to a knowledge of salvation and righteous living. I do believe that God will give man a sense of peace about a decision or open doors in response to prayer or providing a leading into how we should live. I just don't see evidence of Him providing audible instruction to individuals or direct revelation to a church through one man.

When Jerry Farwell says "God told me to tell you if we don't raise millions for this church, He is going to take me home on such and such a date" and then the day comes and goes, the message isn't from God and if we followed the OT we would stone him for speaking presumptuously in God's name.

I said right now I believe, because I'm open to changing my mind on the topic. I think what I'm looking for is a clear-cut way to know if it was God speaking. If an individual could explain how they know it would be interesting. In the Bible it was common for the prophet to confirm his message with a supernatural sign like the hour hand on the sun dial moving backwards etc. Modern prophets seem to not be able to do this.”

Lets tackle the basic foundation here, and by doing that it will allow me to agree with Res on a point. When it comes to salvation, reproof, and instruction the Scriptures are all we need. The Scriptures are the foundation of all that we do and if we are not in line with them then we are outside of His will. So the question is why does G_d still reveal Himself to people on an individual basis.

Before we answer that question we should find out if there is a Biblical precedent for prophecy in our modern age.


And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
Acts 2:17 KJV


I think that this is sufficient precedent to make the case that G_d will speak to His children in a number of ways even after His Word has been completed. All of these things prophesy, visions, and dreams are all methods of direct revelation G_d has used in the past. There is also precedent for G_d falling silent such as the 400-year period between Malachi and when Jesus was born.

Now I have been involved with each of these three kinds of revelation either personally or from something I was told by another believer. I personally have been told a number of things about the church here in America’s future that would count as prophecy, My wife has had a vision that lead to her healing, and a brother I know told me of a prophetic dream he had that was the source of comfort and reconciliation in his church that went through a couple of rough years. If he gives me permission I will share it with you. It was an amazing dream and story.

With that answered lets take on the contradictory statements issue. I too have a problem with the issue that seems to primarily come from the Pentecostal churches. These types of revelations that change from month to month need to be tested against the Word. It is important that any revelation not contradict the Word first off. The second point is that rarely are revelations given one day that will be countermanded by a second revelation that contradicts it. If it does then you may want to consider the source something other than G_d. Which brings me to the point that G_d is not the only one who can give visions, dreams, and prophecies. The Enemy is very clever and can provide some very convincing false revelations. If two pastors of the same church have differing visions then you can be assured that at least one of them is false. The enemy loves to sow dissention and confusion. What better way than to deceive the leaders of a local church. The Jerry Falwell incident is a perfect example of a man using his influence to dupe gullible individuals into doing what he wanted. I his case it could be easily argued that G_d never worked that way. Yeshua does not work through fear and intimidation. I think it would have been

How do we know that what we have heard is from G_d and not from our own over ambitious minds, or from the enemy? It is often not that easy, other times such as G_d giving me my calling or my wife’s vision it was extremely clear who was talking. With my wife’s vision it was a dramatic direct answer to prayer. It made it clear that G_d was taking the fear in her life and he indeed was holding onto her just as she asked. Now G_d talking to me nearly caused a wreck as I was driving at the time. It was a clear audible voice telling me that His bride had forsaken him and directing me to study what He had done to His children in the past when they forsook Him. As to spectacular supernatural events accompanying prophecy that is just not as common as it would seem to be. While He has performed some amazing supernatural feats they do not accompany most prophecies, as the proof of their veracity was to be the fulfillment of that prophecy. If my understanding is correct that the true measure of a prophet was his perfect accuracy.

I wish that it was easy to know when someone is indeed speaking in G_d’s name, but the only way to know is to be diligent and study. Make sure you do not just take one persons word for it, check it against the scriptures, but this is important to do no matter what is said by anyone teaching in G_d’s name. I think that the scriptures are clear that He has, He does, and He will talk to His children. He does so in a number of ways and it never will contradict what His established Word says.