Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Ask A Question And Eventually You Will Receive

Roland asked me a question a while back and I never really got around to answering him. I think I owe him an answer. The question had to do with a certain story in the Bible about a centurion named Cornelius. For those of you who are not familiar with the story here it is:
Acts chapter 10

His question to me was: Did I believe that Cornelius was saved before he met Peter or after? It is a very good question. After reading this passage I asked myself another question: Is it important to know when Cornelius was saved? The immediate knee jerk reaction was to say no, but then I prayed about it and let G_d answer the question for me. As sometimes happens I did not get an immediate answer. (This is His way of saying “Chill, it is My hands”) Well to be honest I had forgotten all about the question until today when G_d answered me on the way to work.

The answer was another question: Why would I instruct Cornelius to seek out Peter and bring him to his home if he and his family did not need to hear the message about My Son? It started me thinking. Cornelius was a good man in all respects, but he lacked a true relationship with G_d because he had not at that time accepted the atoning sacrifice of Yeshua. Cornelius was doing everything in his own finite mind to please the G_d he knew existed, but his own efforts would never be enough. G_d knowing this and being pleased with Cornelius provided a way for him to hear the message of Yeshua’s sacrifice, and gave him the opportunity to accept it. He and his family did. I could go more into the other side of the story involving Peter, but I think that is for another time.