Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Science, Trolls, and the Wonder of it All

While doing my usual perusal of my blogroll the other day I ran across some interesting comments from a commenter over at Triton’s place. She was obviously someone who felt that anyone who was a Christian was stuck in the dark ages and did not have any enlightened thinking. I was quite amused at the time. I was amused enough to leave a couple of snarky comments. I am not normally like that but I felt like a little bit of humor was called for, as the title of the post was “Lord, save us from the Californians”. She was very clear on her belief that science and Gnostic philosophies were the path that we should follow and that Christianity was just a big lie. To Triton’s credit he went out of his way to provide detailed counterpoints too her naked assertions and blatant misrepresentations. I am not sure I would have been quite so patient with someone who was proving to be a troll.

One of her naked assertions was that Christians had no real understanding of Science. I would say that Christians for the most part have at least a basic understanding of science and Earth’s place in the total universe. For me it just increases my adoration of Him. His creation is vast and it just shows what kind of power He has. To think that with that kind of power he would even bother with one little speck of dust that our planet is in this vast universe is humbling. He could have just wiped the slate clean and started over; instead He provided a way for us to be reconciled with Him. That is the kind of love that deserves worship.