Thursday, May 18, 2006

Defining Love Part 1

What is love, and how do we know it is love? This is one of the big questions almost all followers of Yeshua ask. During a discussion over at Morgan’s (The debates can be interesting) she trotted out one of her favorite verses and it got me thinking just what does that verse mean.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
John 13:34 NASB

The commandment seems pretty straightforward. We are to love one another as Yeshua loves us. So the question in following the commandment is what constitutes love. Is it some Kind of emotion, is it more something substantive like an action, or is it something all together different. I first thought of looking up a definition for love, but I thought better of that, it would be inadequate and most likely a modern definition. So I asked myself how would I define it then? It was sitting right smack dab in front of my face in the verse. Find out how Yeshua showed His love and then we can define it.

Finding all of the references to His love is turning out to be a more daunting task than I originally thought. So I am going to turn this into a two parter. I would like to see how my readers see His love. I know His love is simple, but it is complex in the ways he showed it. How is that for a conundrum?