Monday, May 01, 2006

Life

I am finding it interesting that a good portion of the people who read my blog are finding their lives in some sort of turmoil right now. I am not sure what it means but I find it interesting. Not all turmoil is bad; it is just drastic change.

I have made the statement before on numerous occasions that parents should not outlive their children. I just never imagined that I would be one who did, yet I thought I would be more devastated than I am. I had pictured the rending of clothes and wailing to be the typical response, yet I never went through that. Oh, I have shed many tears alone and with my wife and children, but I have never “lost it”. I am reminded of a line out of a song by Rich Mullins that he wrote for his parents in which he describes how they handled the loss of one of their sons. He wrote that the pain did not leave them crippled and that the scars made them strong. Somehow I see this as how people will see Birdie and I. I think that one of the difference makers that Birdie and I have is the hope we have in Yeshua and that Samuel is in a place where he can never hurt. While we have mourned our loss of seeing Samuel grow up we are not without hope of seeing him again.

I am now wondering why it took me so long to pick up archery as a hobby; I am enjoying it a lot. I honestly could see myself entering a contest or two in the future. I am not sure I could ever be good enough to go pro but in the few times I have had to use my bow I am learning a lot about stance, aiming, and how each arrow flies. I am still too stiff in how I hold the bow, and the bow needs to be tuned properly before I can truly assess how good my groupings are. For now it just feels good to go out and shoot the arrows and work on my form.