Monday, October 10, 2005

Miracle Monday

I have been contemplating writing about miracles each Monday. The hard part is coming up with credible real life stories. I have found a few, but I thought I might start with a couple of miracles that have affected our lives. I decided to do these on Monday because Mondays are hard on people for some reason, and stories of miracles are uplifting.

The first is one that happened to Birdie before she became a Christian. She was 14 at the time, and had gone to the Texas State Fair. She was having a normal day with one of her friends. That night she and here friend got in line to ride an amusement ride called the Enterprise. For those of you who do not know what this is I will try to explain. It is a high speed spinning ride that tilts up 90 degrees once it reaches speed. It is very intense. She was in line and part of the next group to get on when she was given a VERY STRONG feeling she should not get on the ride. She convinced her friend not to get on. After they walked away (her friend somewhat in disgust) one of the cars on the ride broke off and killed one of three people inside the car. Birdie is convinced she and her friend would have been in that car. She now believes it was G_d telling her not to get on that ride. I am very thankful that she heeded this warning as I would have never met her and none of our wonderful children would be here today.

The second is one that happened to me. While not as dramatic as Birdie’s story it still touched me personally. A little over three years ago I started suffering from a very painful foot ailment called plantar facitis. This is a condition where the ligament in the bottom of the foot loses some of its elasticity. It makes it hard to walk and in my case hard to climb ladders (my job called for climbing smokestacks then). When it first started I saw a podiatrist and had a cortisone shot done. This treatment is painful in itself, but it seemed to take and I had no pain for about nine months. It came back with a vengeance. I went back and saw my doctor and had another treatment done. I was also told about the other options, including surgery. Surgery would have laid me up for a couple of months and I could not afford that, plus there was no guarantee that the surgery would work. The second treatment did not work, the pain had subsided some but not completely. I started praying that I would be healed so that I could continue to provide for my family. Shortly after that, one of our cars broke down and Birdie had the other taking the kids to co-op classes, she was going to be late and we lived a couple of blocks away from the office so I decided to walk home. As I was crossing the only major street I would have to cross I had a searing pain shoot from my foot all the way up my leg. I knew right then that it would be the last time that I would have any more trouble with my foot. I was in pain for about a week and I have never hurt scince that incident. I now believe that G_d allowed the ligament to tear just enough to heal my foot without the need to go through any surgery or lengthy recoveries. I also found out that this is essentially what is done in surgery. I was very thankful that Yeshua provided for us in that way.