Thursday, October 06, 2005

Our Power in Christ

Even before I came to know Yeshua I have believed in the supernatural, a force beyond us that would apply its power to miraculously change what cannot be changed through natural means. As a young teen I thought I could harness that power and escape from the living hell I lived in. I am now very glad I never figured it out. I would never of known what I was getting into. I now know there are two sources of supernatural power one is malevolent and the other benevolent.

I am not going to cover the malevolent source other that to acknowledge that it is from the enemy of Yeshua. I do not want to go there it is too dark and not what this post is about. I do want to talk about the benevolent source. This is Yeshua the Messiah, Creator of the universe, and my personal Savior and Lord. When we talk about the supernatural in connection to Yeshua we generally refer to miracles.

Before being redeemed I was intrigued by the miracles Yeshua performed while He was here in the flesh. I was even more intrigued by the fact that his early followers performed miracles as well. Although not being a factor in my accepting Him as Lord I believed (and still do) that if we want to, and we have enough faith we can perform miracles as well. This belief got me into quite a bit of trouble with church leaders in the past. Enough so that I learned to be quiet and “not rock the boat”. I was saved in the Southern Baptist Church and they seem to teach that for the most part that miracles are a thing of the past. We do not need them because we have the Word and that is all we need. It seems to me when they pray for someone to be healed they put in “ if it is His will” as a caveat implying that they really don’t believe He will. I say hogwash. The Word says He is the same today, yesterday, and tomorrow. Why would He stop now? The early Christians had scripture as well. It was used very effectively to point to Yeshua being the Messiah and yet they still performed miracles.

The scriptural basis for what I believe about miracles is very simple. The most important verse is this one:
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
John 14:12
The works of Yeshua are well documented, as are the works of the apostles. I did a search on Bible.com and came up with 32 verses with the word “miracle” specifically in the New Testament alone. I could list them but it would take to much space on my post.


The following excerpt is from “Blessed Child” by Ted Dekker and Bill Bright. It is a wonderful fictional account of an orphaned boy that grew up in a monastery in Africa and was thrust out into the world. The story is sort of a noble savage story with a definite Christian slant. Yeshua gave the boy the gift of healing and he had been brought to see a prominent and dying church leader. This was part of the conversation after Caleb (the boy) did not heal the man.


“Miraculous or not, walking in the Spirit means stepping into the Kingdom of God, and most Christians aren’t willing to walk there. They enter the kingdom at their rebirth but take few steps.” Dr. Thompson grinned and faced them. “ At least that’s the way Caleb puts it, and I think I like his perspective. Those who do walk in the kingdom have far more power than you would ever guess. It might not be the straightening of bent spines; you may not even see it here among the mud pies, but believe me, the power of the Spirit-filled man is quite stunning. Whoever said that a straightened hand was more dramatic than a healed heart anyway? Caleb may be a vessel of God’s spectacular power, but he is not as unique as you think. You’re just not seeing the rest of it with your eyes – the fruits of the Spirit, the power of love, the color of peace. What you need is to have your eyes opened.”



1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.
2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.
3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
II Corinthians 12 1- 11

Here is where the rubber meets the road. Each one of us, if we are willing to walk in the Spirit, can perform the same works that Yeshua performed and greater. Not every one will have the same gift but each one of us has the capacity to perform miracles. It just depends on Yeshua as to what we are gifted with. The Spirit will lead you and guide you in your calling. Yet we all have the capacity to do the most miraculous thing of all, heal the wounded heart. When we are walking in the Spirit and we touch other people’s lives, their lives will be changed forever. That is the most dramatic miracle of all.