Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Reckless Raging Fury

That is the most apt description of the love that G_d has for us I have ever read or heard. His love in an all-encompassing fire that lifts us up, tries us, and refines us without consuming us. It is steady, never-ending, and passionate. Yes I said passionate, Most of us think of G_d in some paternal sense, Father, Brother, Friend, but we think little about the passion He has for us. There is an old hymn called “Jesus Lover of my Soul” and it is very true. His love for us is so passionate and reckless that He did what most would consider unthinkable. He took our place; He came to earth, lived with us, and then died for us so that we could experience His love in its fullness. Most of us understand love as an emotion that is fleeting and has degrees, but Yeshua’s love has no degrees. There is nothing we can do to earn His love and nothing we can do to remove His love. If we were even given a small portion of His love we could not handle it, it is that strong. This has been a hard concept for me as I spent a good portion of my life not knowing I was loved like this. I knew He loved me, but I did not understand the passion involved in His love. Yeshua is still refining the understanding of this love in me.

Interestingly enough I was introduced to the concept in a novel written by Ted Dekker called “When Heaven Weeps”. I am now reading “ An Arrow Pointing to Heaven” which is a biography of Rich Mullins who as most of us know was one of the great musicians of our time. His song “The Love of God” is where I got the title for this post, and one of the few songs that I can hear in my head when I read the lyrics. I will leave you with that song for tonight. My we all be captured by the reckless raging furry that is the love of G_d.

There's a wideness in God's mercy
I cannot find in my own
And He keeps His fire burning
To melt this heart of stone
Keeps me aching with a yearning
Keeps me glad to have been caught
In the reckless raging fury
That they call the love of God

Now I've seen no band of angels
But I've heard the soldiers' songs
Love hangs over them like a banner
Love within them leads them on
To the battle on the journey
And it's never gonna stop
Ever widening their mercies
And the fury of His love


Oh the love of God
And oh, the love of God
The love of God


Joy and sorrow are this ocean
And in their every ebb and flow
Now the Lord a door has opened
That all Hell could never close
Here I'm tested and made worthy
Tossed about but lifted up
In the reckless raging fury
That they call the love of God