Monday, March 06, 2006

Update on Osteen

I said I could find the transcript here it is:
Interview With Joel Osteen

Here is the specific quote.

KING: What if you're Jewish or Muslim, you don't accept Christ at all?


OSTEEN: You know, I'm very careful about saying who would and wouldn't go to heaven. I don't know ...

KING: If you believe you have to believe in Christ? They're wrong, aren't they?

OSTEEN: Well, I don't know if I believe they're wrong. I believe here's what the Bible teaches and from the Christian faith this is what I believe. But I just think that only God with judge a person's heart. I spent a lot of time in India with my father. I don't know all about their religion. But I know they love God. And I don't know. I've seen their sincerity. So I don't know. I know for me, and what the Bible teaches, I want to have a relationship with Jesus.

The rest of the interview did not sound all that bad so I will reserve judgment for now. I will continue my study of his writings and wait on the Holy Spirit to give me guidance. I still know he has preached what is known as the “Prosperity Gospel”. I know that he does not ask for money in his broadcasts, but he does teach, “seed faith” when it comes to giving and receiving. While it is not completely unbiblical in it’s basic concept, too many preachers have used it to bilk money from people telling them if they just have enough faith then that seed will grow into something great, while the only one who actually benefits is the preacher who gets the donation.

Ok, I am done with my rant on this; I am reserving judgment for now due to my ignorance of Joel’s complete teachings, but the quote in the interview is enough to give me pause.