Monday, September 12, 2005

The Martyr’s Song

I have been of late reading a series of books that are quite frankly setting me on my posterior and making me say "WOW". You see I did not grow up in a loving home as a child, so the concept of a G_d that not only wants to love you, but is so desperate for your love that He is willing to go through extreme measures to get it floors me. It also makes me wonder what extreme measures He has used in the pursuit of me. I do not know if the following counts, but it is the only thing I could think of right now.

By all rights I should not be writing this right now. I should have been dead back in 1992. Just so you know I am a severe asthmatic, and back in 1992 my medication stopped working. I was having a minor attack, and I have weathered those so many times without medication that I did not think anything about it. I went to bed that night and things progressively got worse so my wife got me an appointment with my doctor for that afternoon. (That was the earliest we could get in.) By the time we got to the doctor I was struggling to breathe. While in the waiting room I started to turn blue and could get almost no air. My wife, G_d bless her, went and got help, they wheeled me over to the hospital next door and started working on me. I do not remember allot from the emergency room but the one thing that has always stuck in my mind was the nurse saying that I should be dead because my blood oxygen count was zero. It turned out that the reason my medication stopped working was because I had pneumonia. One third of my left lung was full of fluid. I have since had pneumonia two more times. One it was caught early and treated with antibiotics and the other nearly killed me as well because I thought I had the flu and was too stubborn to go see a doctor until I was coughing up blood.


If you have not read this series I highly recommend it. The Series is called The Martyr's Song series the author is Ted Dekker
.

CORRECTION:

Birdie has informed me that I have my facts wrong. The first case of pneumonia was only spots on my lung that caused a unstoppable asthma attack and the third case was when my lung was a third full fluid hence the coughing up blood.