Wednesday, December 21, 2005

IS C.S. Lewis a Christian?

I know I said I was going to post on something else now but this has been on ongoing issue for sometime on an e-mail loop Birdie belongs to. Jimmie (also a member) piped in and said what has been on my mind concerning the issue and said it, quite frankly, better than I could.
There has been some controversy over C.S. Lewis, The Chronicles of Narnia, and his other writings, all of this stemming from the recent release of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. This debate has worked its way into whether or not C.S. Lewis is a Christian. I was getting quite disgusted and was considering saying something myself when Jimmie piped in. Here is what he said:

“Why do we kill the weak and wounded?
It was once argued that everyone who baptized infants went to hell.
It was once argued that each person who did not believe in handling snakes to prove salvation went to hell.
It was once argued that all Papists went to hell.
It was once argued that all communists went to hell.

It was once argued that all good men went to heaven.
It was once argued that all murderers went to hell.
I was once told to be careful of intellectually educated people because they were all liberal in their theology and Godless.
I was once told that anyone who did not believe in the virgin birth went to hell.
I was once told that no true Christian can have a Christmas tree in their home.
I was once told that none of the elect can own a television or radio.
I was once told a person who writes allegory and thoughts about their faith were hell bound if every word they ever wrote did not line up chapter and verse with Biblical text.
I was once told that if every believer did not believe the exact same thing that I believe for the exact same reasons I believe, those people are bound for hell.
I was once told in 1989 in East Texas that black people are cursed by God and are all doomed for hell even if they claim to be a Christian and the Holy Spirit demonstrates activity in their lives.
I was once told the Jesus Christ was not the only way to heave and that we Baptist just need to get over it.


Out of all of the above idiotic statements above, only one deserves attention from believers. I was once told that there are only three to five things that are necessary for a person to be a Christian. I was also told that everything but those three to five things were up for debate and interpretation. This is absolutely true. What does it really take for a person to go to heaven?
I believe the first thing required to be a convert is being called by God to become a convert. I believe the second thing required is to accept Jesus as the Lord and Savior of your life. I believe the third thing required to be a convert is accepting forgiveness of sins from God. There may be one or two more, but there are no more than that.


If I have a brother or sister in the faith who agrees on these three to five necessities of the faith, then what ever they believe about any of the arguable things should not matter to me. I am only concerned about their eternal destiny not their orthodoxy. I think orthodoxy is important, but not to the point of maligning another believer with charges of having heretical views concerning areas of acceptable debate.

That leads me to the latest attacks on C. S. Lewis. I am quite sure C.S. Lewis never claimed to write "Inspired Words from God." I am also quite sure he was an intellectual apologist. He never had a biblical education or ever stated that he was a Biblical scholar. Lewis like many normal people who placed their own thoughts down on paper is being deconstructed by those who do not understand the original intent. Directly assuming theological implications based in C. S. Lewis' writings is weak at best and insipid at worst. I am not an apologist for Lewis; but I am worried about many of the articles questioning his eternal destiny. Almost all theological orthodoxy is always up for debate on any given day, but questioning the eternal destiny of a> person based on debatable issues is not acceptable for believers, whether mature or immature in the faith.”
In His Grace,
Jimmie W. Kersh
Jimmiekersh.blogspot.com



All I can say is AMEN.