Sunday, September 18, 2005

The Great Debate Over Owls

I know that I said that I would have something up in the morning, but at this point in time morning is relative.

Do you remember the great debate that the timber industry lost over the northern spotted owl? I do. The industry I worked for was closely linked with the pulp & paper industry. It hurt us as a great number of pulp & paper mills in the northwest were shut down during that time. Well anyway it turns out that the timber industry was right all along. It was not the logging that was reducing the spotted owl population; it was another owl in the region that was causing the problem, the barred owl.

"The Barred Owl is larger, stronger and eats more types of prey than the Spotted Owl, and some scientists believe that they are wiping out the weaker Spotted Owl."